Friday, July 18, 2008

Handmade Postcards are

fun to make!
I made these two postcards today.

We have a postcard exchange group for June/July in my yahoo group.
This card is made from cotton/parchment (C/P).
This is a surface I make from wallpaper that is bonded to muslin and painted. It is a versatile surface! I use it for a lot of my work.

This card is machine stitched. There are bits of dyed lace for curtains on the windows and flowers. An old button is the doorknob. The recipient, Bente, lives in Norway. I thought Norway may have quaint cottages, so I thought this card would be appropriate for her.

The back is made from hand dyed fabric, stamped and addressed by hand. The "stamp" is cut from the C/P.

The second card is made from C/P as well.
The seaweed in this underwater scene is created with random rotary cut pieces of chiffon and bits of C/P. The fish is made from a second type of surface I make that I call "tulle trap". The fish is made separately and stitched on along with the other details. The pieces are arranged and then stitched by machine.

The surfaces: cotton/parchment and tulle-trap are both included in my current class:
Think "outside" the Take out Box.
This class is conducted on Joggles.

Even though these are postcards, I put them into an envelope. I can't bare to think of the cards going through the machines.

The image on the right shows the second card in progress.

Quite a difference!

I discovered a new paint product recently. Lumin Arte Shimmering Mist. This product is available on Joggles.

I sprayed the surface of the C/P used for the underwater scene. The color: Persimmon.

The information on the bottle states it is a watercolor with mica. It is meant to be used on paper. The shimmer is magnificent! It is sort of opalescent. This shimmer shows in the upper right corner.

If you haven't made a postcard yet, I highly recommend it. They make a great gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great, Debbie! Very nice.

Lorri Lee Chambers said...

welcome to the world of Postcards

very nice job I have been making them for almost two years and have over a hundred from the people on the group i belong to SURFACE DESIGN on Yahoo...we do all kinds of textile mixed media treasures.
You can mail your cards in Clear envelopes available from Clear envelopes company (they also carry great papers)..continue to have fun there are so many cards waiting to be born