Monday, March 3, 2008

Honor of Leaves

This is my most recent art work. Title: Honor of Leaves, size: 12" x 18".
I am calling the method "crossover collage".

I decided to dedicate my first piece to leaves which are my favorite motif.

I have been working for the last few weeks making and gathering an assortment of things to have a collection to work with.

My experimentation with paper and fabric combined, turned out to be very interesting! I learned a lot. This piece is actually a combination of "fragments" from trimmed quilts, that I always save and paper collage. The fragments are the same type that I used to make the vessel (see my post-My recent Article Quilting Arts, 12/2708). The detail image below, shows buttons, the focal point leaf and some of the fragments on the right. The focal point leaf is made from layers collaged "fancy" fabrics. It is sewn to a piece of hand painted kimono silk. This is hand stitched to a piece of hand painted rag paper.
The paper is attached with glue.

There are numerous details with several collage layers. miscellaneous details, embellishments, fabrics and papers.


Black kimono silk lines the back while the edges are finished with binding made from hand painted kimono silk.


Now I am trying to decided whether to mount it to a canvas base or leave as is.

4 comments:

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

What an amazing lovely piece...

Denise Aumick said...

This looks very cool. Please keep us updated on whether you mount it or not. I like it the way it is but can also see it on a board or canvas.

laurenfureymoore said...

Please also show photos of the piece even temporarily mounted. You could have people vote! This is a beautiful piece, makes me want to get closet to explore all the parts.
~Lauren

Jane LaFazio said...

Just lovely! Did you say, on the SAQA list, that you entered it in the CPS challenge? I'm sure you'll get it, it's gorgeous. I love paper and cloth together too--I have an article in CPS march/april 09 about it.