Sunday, September 7, 2008

Madeleine's' bedroom is complete!

This is a quilt I made for my granddaughter Madeleine last year for her fifth birthday.
Title: Zertz
Size: 80”x80”(original design)

I started this project with a “lap quilt” size in mind. Needless to say, the size evolved. This is the first time I have made a large square quilt. I enjoyed making it and am pleased with the results.

Madeleine LOVES to eat dessert. Her name for dessert is: Zert.

There are 5 hearts in each corner to represent her age. One big heart is in the very center. There are yo-yo’s in the center of each heart as well as the center of the four pinwheels. The yo-yo’s are hand button hole stitched. Yo-yo’s are also used as flowers in each basket.

Each outer corner has a sweet treat:
Ice cream cone, piece of chocolate cake, cup cake and lollipop.

The theme fabric is used for the border; it has all kinds of desserts on it.

Recently I visited her in Seattle. She now has a new bed which is a twin size day bed that has a trundle bed underneath. She needed a bed skirt to not only hide the extra bed but to also complete the look. I used left over fabric to make a multicolored the bed skirt. I barely had enough!

Madeleine loves the results and so do I!

September 3, 2008

Madeleine (AKA Goober)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet quilt for a sweet girl! I think your attempt at doing a traditional quilt hit a home run. Did you find yourself wanting to abandon the traditional and make something artisy?

Deborah Babin said...

I do enjoy the opposite of the spectrum: depression era styles.
I love the simplicity of that era.
So, I was okay within the realm. I did think the overall look had an "artsy" effect.
And, YES, she is Sweet.
Thanks for posting!
Debbie

Kathie said...

Hi, I stumbled onto your blog while looking for white iron daybeds...and I love the one you have pictured on this post. Do you know where you bought it?

I like the bedskirt too!

Thanks,

Kathie